Thursday, May 13, 2010

James has new shoes

Well they technically aren't shoes. They are orthotics called Mitchell shoes with the Ponseti bar. You have to have a prescription to get them. After many trips to Children's hospital trying to get the other shoes to fit we were finally given the Mitchell shoes. I am told that they are very expensive. They are worth it!

It has been night and day. James has had very little trouble with these shoes. They are soft leather with a foam insole. They are much more comfortable for James and as a bonus they are lighter weight. (I can use all the help that I can get in the weight department with James.) I'm not sure how much he weighs now, and I'm not even sure that I want to know.

James has been picking up his feet and will sometimes fall to the side. I'm sure that he will be rolling over soon.

Here is a better picture. He has become fascinated with his hands and has them in his mouth all the time. This was one of the few pictures without his fingers in his mouth. Is he going to be another Beff, I don't know.
Here is a close-up of the shoes. They go a little higher. With only three buckles they are much easier to get on. They even have a little peep hole to see if his heal is in the right place. (You can see the hole on his inner left foot heal.)
Here are his feet without the shoes. I couldn't get a good one showing the feet side by side. (My helper was doing her best.) You can see the extra skin around his ankle.
Can you tell the difference?

1 comment:

Jamie said...

He is a doll. We do miss him. I'm glad the new shoes are doing better.